Thursday 8 May 2014

Why I Fish?


My new colleagues and boss are pretty amazed that I love fishing so much given my foul temper and immense sense of urgency to get things done. 

To many, fishing is an activity that require great amount of patience and perseverance. 

They were even more surprised when I gave them my regular answer to the age old question: 
'So, what did you do to all those fishes you caught?'

I'm by far no saint...

On the other hand, I considered myself as a major sadist, being both happy and excited whenever I managed to impale my sharp hooks into the jaws or faces of those freshwater fishes causing them to struggle and dash wildly in a bid to release themselves from those deadly treble hooks on my lures.

While all of those freshwater fishes I caught were released back into the water very much alive, some were bleeding and disoriented from the fight.

If I'm a saint, I would not fish for them at all. 

Face it.
All kinds of fishing either for sport or for food, it's CRUEL.
Period. 

To the many 'Catch & Release' anglers out there, please do not think of yourselves as a holier being than those baiters who bring home and cook their catches.

All are equal.

The fishes belong to no one.
If any, they belong to mother nature.

Anyway, back to topic before I stray too far.





As a kid, I have been obsessed with all things mechanical. 

My stubbornness and perfectionist nature often makes me the best in the things that I'm passionate in. 

And like many others, I enjoy the sense of satisfaction and joy when I get my hands on a new piece of high-end equipment. 

Always a sucker for rare and exclusive JDM toys...

That's besides landing huge specimens of course. 

Part of the joy of my passion is not just about the catches. 
It's also about spending my hard earned dollars acquiring tackles I like and wetting them on quiet Sunday mornings. 

It's also about exploring and maintaining the internals of my gears, tweaking them to achieve better performance.

For an introvert person like myself, there is no other hobby besides fishing which can provide me with the solace among tranquility that I seek.






Alone in the middle of no man's land, 
Repeating cast after cast, 
Unspoken trust between me and my gears,
Alpha hunter became my hunted...








1 comment: