Thursday 4 July 2013

英雄本色 (A Better Tomorrow)



Back in the mid/late 80's there was this Hong Kong gangster movie which was such a big hit back then.
It was directed by the famous Director John Woo.
 
I remembered watching it on TV when I was still a small kid.
 
One of the characters left a deep impression on me:
Mark (小马哥)/ Ken (Ken哥)

First part of the show, Mark died heroically in a gunfight towards the end.
Likely the most bullet wounds in the history of movie making.

Ken is Mark's identical twin brother who appeared in part 2.

Both are portrayed by Chow Yun Fatt.
 


  

 
I was so facinated by him back then...
 
He 'taught' me that real men can cry, must not show pain, death is nothing, smoke cigerattes and also, sport side-parting hairstyle.

Apart from the Alain Delon sunglasses and dust coat that is...

I bought the DVDs and still rewatch it every now and then.
Till date, countless times I've watched it...
 
There was once when I watched it with Ling and she seemed amused by the characters' corny dialogue and actions.
 
I guess the movies are so old-fashioned that not many generation 80's know how to appreciate them...
 
Who knows?
If not for this show, I might grew up to be a sissy now.

If I'm fortunate enough to have a son in future, will make him watch it as well.

It's a really good educational movie.
Shows what honor and loyalty is all about, something which people these days seriously lack. 
 
Theme song of part 2 by a pianist fan:
 



 
Oh, there's a part 3 as well.
Director John Woo and Producer Tsui Hark fell out during the making of part 2.
 
This led to Tsui Hark directing part 3 which is a prequel to the entire story.
 
Not worth mentioning as Tsui Hark basically ruined everything.
Feel is not there anymore...
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Halo, not that I don't know how to appreciate ok. Watch at different time, will catch different things de ma.

    ReplyDelete