Sunday 22 June 2014

Back To Mars

Got tired of catching Temensis lately...

Was contemplating whether to go Spot Sadako or Mars last night.
Both are Giant Snakehead spots.

Eventually, I chose the latter as it has a close relation with my Project V5 which is currently in the works.

Made my way there this morning and the drizzle turned into a full-fledged thunderstorm with blinding bolts of lightning and deafening thunders.



I remained inside Joe until the merciless rain died down after a short while.

Thankfully, the thunderstorm had left as soon as it came.

To be frank, I would have donned a raincoat and went in even if the hurricane continued.

Ling will be furious if she knew...
lol




Jason came with a friend and after we were done with our matters, he kindly invited me to his spot which I rejected.

Not that I have any issues with him or his friend but it was planned to be a solo session and I would like to keep it that way.
There are some things I would like to get done without any company.

He with his friend, me alone.

Arranged to rendezvous back at our parking spot at 10am, we parted ways and he seemed worried that I'm going in all by myself, to a remote place where even he does not know about.
lol

There are indeed some dangers in going solo.
Poisonous snakes, injuries, crocodiles, ghosts, vampires, etc.

But nothing beats the tranquility and freedom in fishing alone...

After much trekking and bashing, I finally arrived at the fishing hole and spotted some surface commotion.

Casted my minnows and got these hungry juveniles:



No sign of any parent guarding them though...
When they reached this stage of growth, the parents would most likely have left them to fend for themselves.

Went to the other end and repeated cast after cast, switching lures every now and then.

Suddenly, I noticed a familiar sight.

A toman had surfaced to take in ambient air (which they do every once in a while) betraying it's position.

Casted to about a metre behind it when I saw it made a diving U-turn after gulping air.

Twitched hard and wide to make my minnow dive deeper and seconds later, the freshwater apex predator initiated an attack on my lure pulling my rod violently.

Ahhhh...
It's been so long since I last had a tug-of-war with a Giant Snakehead...

I fought the fish for awhile on my 14lb setup while it endured and eventually subdued the toman's wild struggle and mad dashes for freedom.









Released it and the castings continued.

Enticed one to take a bite shortly after but it threw off my hook mere moments into the fight...

Managed to hookup one more but lost it in the process of lip-gripping...
It was also a good sized specimen.

No land, no count...

Contained my spilt milk sobbing and made my way along the shoreline, casting blindly towards the edge of the opposite bank as I walked along...

Some time later, a group of fries emerged from the vegetation across the bank.
They were spooked by my disturbance and had decided to swim out to relocate.

I grabbed the chance and casted repeatedly at the ball of crimson fries with lightning fast pace, hoping that the parent would be pissed enough to 'kill' my minnow.

Eventually, the parent fell for it and made a hard bite on my plastic bait.
lol

This toman was not only stronger than the one before, it was also way smarter.

It peeled line easily from my IS79UC reel which although rated at 4kg of maximum drag, I had only set it to approximately 2-3kg.

When the toman wore itself out from all the impressive dashes, I regained line and the moment when it was mere metres away from me, it suddenly made another final forceful dash to the vegetation below where I was standing.

My rod got bent into almost an 'U' and for a split second, I was convinced that it was going to snap in half...

My worries were unfounded as shown by the photos below:








Decided that I had enough fun for today and left the place.

Overshot the rendezvous time with Jason and his friend...
Sorry, guys.    lol



A little souvenir for me?

Teeth marks from the one that got away...






No comments:

Post a Comment