Thursday 3 July 2014

Project V5 - Aftermath


4 days later today, my video has attracted 165 facebook shares with some being overseas.

As a result from this video, I have received about 40 friends requests, and many private messages from other anglers who expressed interest to fish together with me.

All of them were ignored.

This video is not intended for me to meet new friends or to make myself famous.
It's just a project which floated in my mind for quite some time but I had been procrastinating about doing it.

Megabass America, Megabass Japan, Fishing Kaki Forum had shared it on their official facebook pages as well as numerous other facebook fishing groups.





While embarking on this project, I am confident that it will be quite a hit.
But I didn't expected it to be so well received among the fishing community.

Much thought had been put into the camera angles and scenes.
Some were done on the spur of the moment, example like the addition of the last scene which featured the raw footage complete with real on-field sounds.

The production took about 10 days over the span of 2 fishing sessions and massive hours on the movie making software.

This was on top of my extremely busy work schedule.

Luckily, most of the scenes were well captured on a single take which actually saved a lot of time out on the field.

And I was lucky enough to be able to catch a good sized and extremely hard-fighting 15lb Giant Snakehead with all the action captured at POV angle, just the way I want it to be. 

BoyBoy's scene needed to be shot 3 times as he kept moving about, curious about what I am doing.
That little rascal...  lol

The entire video was shot on my Nikon AW110 compact waterproof camera except for the fish fighting scene which was on a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition fitted with a polarised filter and it's vented back casing which captured the sound of screaming drag at the last scene.

The Nikon is not really user friendly when it comes to POV footages. 
I had to go buy a GoPro to capture such scenes. 

On the other hand, the GoPro's fisheye effect doesn't really suit the 'story-telling scenes'.
This is where my trusty Nikon comes in handy.

When the footages were all edited and effects thrown in, my software had trouble compiling it into a single video.
To add to the problem, GoPro's MP4 format is not recognised by my software and converting those footages took about 30 minutes for each clip.

I tried to troubleshoot and re-convert some parts before trying to publish it again.

This process repeats itself for the entire night before I found out that the entire project completed with numerous transitions and raw footages proved to be too 'heavy' for my dated laptop to process.

Over 5 gigabytes of high definition footages edited and processed into a 367mb (6.5 minutes 720p) movie!

After some brainstorming, I came up with an idea of breaking it up into small portions, then join those small portions into bigger portions, then finally putting the music in and joining them all together into a single movie.

Luckily for me, it worked and the rest is history...






Thanks to Shawn who suggested me to make a new fishing video.
He said that I have not make one for a long time which put me into action.

Thanks to all my friends who shared it out.

Thanks to those who watched it over and over and over again.
You stalkers know who you are.   lol





When everyone forgets about this video and me falling back under the radar, I will make another better one again.
Meanwhile, I'll continue shooting and compiling more footages for the next bigger one.

Till next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment