Saturday 8 September 2012

Dry Spell - Epilogue

Went to Mandai for a short session with Freyson this early morning determined to break my dry spell.

Brought the same rod/reel, wore the same shirt, used the same lure as I did when the last time I went there half a year ago...

Arrived there at daybreak...



After a few casts, I felt a tug at the end of my line and immediately, I tightened my line and striked.
Was reeling the fish in when it made an acrobatic leap above water level followed by a violent headshake.

That's when I last saw the fish... It was a temensis about a foot long.
It managed to throw my hook with the headshake...
Damn!

I should have set the hook once more just to make sure...
Well, no use crying over spilled milk...

I continued working my lure casting countless times and suddenly, I saw a silhouette of a small motor boat with 2 persons onboard.
WTF?! PUB start work so early on a Saturday morning meh??

Quickly, I pulled Freyson who was tying a knot and didn't notice the boat and escaped to the main road.

Phew...

After a cigarette, I went back to my spot and the PUB officers were gone.
Better luck next time, bitches.

Continued casting and retrieving with the random jerk while looking out in the distance just in case those PUB officers decide to make a return.






This is when I felt it...
The familiar tug of a monster fish...
IT'S BEEN SO LOONNNGGGGGG!!

I striked immediately, adrenaline pumping through my veins.
The forceful struggle told me that it's a big one at the end of my line.
It's a huge temensis or peacock bass, I told myself.

Peacock bass are prized gamefish worldwide and they are known for it's aggressive and territorial nature.
The wild ones are violent.
Many anglers overestimated their size when they got one biting and were disappointed when the fish is landed.
Why? Because even a small peacock bass or temensis puts up a fight like a fish twice it's own size!
Anyway, it's a violent species so to speak...

After some tugging and wild dashes, I reeled it in.
Just when the fish was mere metres away from me, I saw it...
It's huge!
The average size for this species I've caught in local waters are about a foot long whereas this one is double!

At about 2 metres away from my, it made a last but epic dash.
My Daiwa Ryoga 1016H reel is tuned with Carbontex drag.
Imagine this top-of-the-line reel, along with high performance after-market drag set at more than half the maximum limit, this fish pulled my line outwards for almost 10 metres in the blink of an eye!

I held on during this split second of madness.
Freyson let out a shout upon witnessing this spectacular moment and scared me...

This fish is either insane or on steriods.....

Anyway, I landed the fish and boga read 5lbs on the scale.
Photo raping begins...

Peacock Bass @ 60cm / 5lbs
G.Loomis IMX, Daiwa Ryoga 1016H, Duel lipless minnow 115mm/Floating



The parting shot...

Wanted to release the fish after it's photo rape but Freyson wanted to have it for dinner.
Gave him the fish knowing that it will not go to waste...
Freyson was a cook at a 5 star hotel and cooks frequently for his family.

If it's a giant snakehead, I would have insisted to free it.
I know that they're all fishes anyway, so why the double standard?
Don't ask me why...
I'm bias towards all other species except for the giant snakehead...

We left after this exciting 2 hour session.
Must reach home before Ling wakes up.


The most important thing is, my dry spell is broken!!
 
At least for now......

No comments:

Post a Comment