Friday 7 September 2012

Dry Spell...

Every accomplished writer will experience the dreaded 'writer's block' sometime during their writing career.
Same goes for anglers.

I'm going through a dry spell now...

Have been fishing way lesser compared to months before.
Now, I try my best to make it a weekly thing.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been squeezing in short sessions to wet my lines.
I've rarely encountered zero catches before.
However, I have been catching nothing recently... zilch!

It's always at least 3 temensis and/or a giant snakehead if I'm lucky.
Not anymore... Guess I ran out of luck... 

Hope this dark period get past me soon.


#############################################


2 days ago, my regular tackle shop's boss passed me a new lure that he brought in from Japan for some testing.
Wants me to give him feedback and in return, I get the $21 lure for free.

One of the staff there told me MacRitchie reservoir has an influx of temensis lately.
Certainly not at the legal spot, he told me to 'enter' from behind those nearby landed properties.

Yesterday after Boy's haircut, I went home and using satellite images on google map, narrowed down to the most possible section of MacRitchie Reservoir. Illegal of course...

All legal spots constructed by PUB at every reservoir in our country is a huge joke altogether...
They seriously think all anglers are brainless and contructed these useless fishing grounds just for the sake of pacifying the public.
They have an uncanny knack of choosing areas with little or no fish to build those legal fishing ground.
And one of the rules of MacRitchie's ridiculously small fishing spot is that no rods shall be longer than 7feet so as to restrict anglers from casting long distances.
Might injure those canoeists they say...

Anyway, legal spots never appealed to me.
Although the fine for fishing illegally is quite hefty, part of the fun in luring is the jungle bashing and stealthy approach.
Never will I set my foot on those so called legal designated fishing ground.
Total waste of time...

Boy sniffing around.


This should be it.
But still, I will have to be there personally to find a way into and through the jungle to reach the waters.
Got my gears ready, brought along a 2 piece rod for convenience, fishing sandals, small bottle of drinking water and off I went...

Found the entry point!





 



 After about 30 minutes of trekking alone, I finally reached the waters...

Those overhung tress and bushes are perfect ambush spot for giant snakeheads.



Throughout my 2 hours stay and countless casts there, all I saw was a black giant snakehead about 2 feet long swimming close to the surface and this tortoise which frantically followed my lure back while I was retrieving it.
Tortoise was fascinated by the lure and stared at it for at least 15 seconds...
Then it swam away leisurely. 



Time's up, no fish, park ranger might show up and I left, going back the same way through the jungle from where I came from.

Went home, washed up my gear, showered myself, changed into fresh clothing, cuddled Boy, consoled Boy for the massive lost of his beloved black fur coat and went to Toh Tuck to meet Ling.


Look at her happy face...

We went to Anchorpoint for dinner where she ordered her favourite vongole again.



Come this Sunday, I will bring myself to another illegal spot in Mandai during daybreaking hours.
The last time I was there, I caught 6 decent sized temensis within 2 hours while the rest of the anglers there either caught zilch or just 1-2.

I'll bring along the exact same rod and reel, use the exact same lure as I did the previous time.

Must break this stupid dry spell......







2 comments:

  1. If you don't have your mobile phone and GPS, will you ever be lost in the jungle? KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. GPS makes it easier. Less chances of getting lost.

    But that being said, SG's jungles are so small that even if one gets lost, walking constantly in the same direction will get out of it within an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete