Thursday 10 October 2013

Nikon Coolpix AW110


Been wanting to buy a waterproof compact camera since ages ago.
Mainly to take better quality photos and videos of my fishing escapades.

Regular iPhone camera just don't cut it.

Initial option was the GoPro action camera.
Currently in the market, it's the best action video camera around.
Various mounting option (sold separately), water and shock resistant, high resolution video quality, light weight.

But some factors are holding me back from buying the GoPro.
1) Hefty price tag ($550)
2) Pay extra for my required mounting option.
3) No screen means taking stills photos and aiming camera needs to be connected to iPhone via Wifi.
4) Freezing issue occurs frequently resulting in loss of footages.
5) Extremely short battery life.

After much hesitation, I searched around online for a suitable waterproof compact camera but eventually gave up as none are able to be 'worn' properly for recording footages hands-free.
I turned to scouting for waterproof iPhone casings.

The good ones are not really cheap costing at over a hundred bucks just for a few pieces of rubber and plastic.
Also, the idea of submerging my phone into the water troubles me even with one of those cases.

Lan Lan stuck with iPhone's sucky camera quality...




Recently, I've been wanting to record some footages for a fishing video project.
I've even improvised a lanyard to hang my iPhone on my neck to capture some footages.

Trouble is, due to the lack of a physical 'record' button, I have to leave the phone in constant recording mode throughout my fishing session and crop away those 'actionless' moments once I get home.

This results in fast battery usage and an extremely hot phone as well.

After the first few tries, I gave up...
Concluded that it's totally not feasible to use my iPhone 5 for recording fishing videos.




Until days ago, I saw this waterproof Nikon compact camera by chance.

Googled extensively and found out that it's a new model which received high recommendation from many online camera reviews.

Nikon Coolpix AW110:





Shall not lor soh on it's specs and plus points here.

Main reason I'm getting this is actually it's designed to use a supplied neck strap which holds the camera in a horizontal orientation in front of my chest.




Bought it at Funan at an extremely good price too!






No comments:

Post a Comment