Sunday 13 April 2014

F3-69X7 + IS 79UC


After getting some decent sized temmies and tomans on this setup, it's time for some personal review on this combo. 

I'll start with the reel then the rod. 
And lastly followed by it's combination. 



Megabass IS 79 Ultimate Competition
(Red Clutch Edition)

Modification: I'ze Factory SV 105 Shallow Spool with dry stock bearings. 

I've actually cleaned away the grease inside the reel's stock spool bearings to achieve a faster rotation speed at the expense of a shorter bearing lifespan. 

With the SV 105 shallow spool, I am able to load 90m of 15lbs Sufix 832 braided line to the brim. 

Cast control is set to zero with magnetic brakes at 1. 

With this setting, I am able to cast 10 - 14grams of lures with ease. 
Anything lighter with require slight thumb control.

If there's a word to describe this reel, it will be:
Smoooooooth...

Everything is freaking smooth. 
Even though for a new reel. 

I've tried brand new Megabass low profile reels before. 
FX68, IP79, Zonda Hedgehog.

None of them comes close to the IS79UC in terms of smoothness regardless of casting or cranking. 

But to be fair, the FX68 can easily out cast the IS79UC due to it's innovative TWS system. 
IP79 has managed to combine power and speed into a single reel, something which many failed. 

With the IS79UC, it spins at a speed of 7.9:1 ratio. 
As with many other high speed reels, it sacrifices cranking power to achieve a high gear ratio except for the IP79 of course. 
It's 80mm carbon crank does not help much either. 

That aside, the IS79UC packs just enough punch for our local freshwater species (including lunkers) with a modest but sufficient 4kg drag strength. 

I've tried overhead casting, side casting, skipping, pitching.
They all yielded the same smooth feel. 

It is also one of the lightest low profile reels around.

The sleek matte black look and red thumb bar makes it one of the most stealthy looking one as well. 



Megabass Destroyer X7
F3-69X7

Not many will spend top dollars for a rod compared to a reel. 

Most of the anglers assume that the reel plays the most important part in their fishing experience. 

Also, many could not bring themselves to pay so much for just a 'stick' with small metal rings. 

That's not true. 

The rod is what affects casting performance the most. 
Not to mention sensitivity as well. 

A good rod paired with good line helps the angler to cast further, more accurately and sensitive enough to detect any 'hits' the lure gets. 

The F3-69X7 is one such rod. 

Although rated as a 'fast' action rod, I give it 'moderate fast' at best. 

With a relatively soft tip section, surface lures can be easily worked and this is where it truly shines. 

Optimum lure weight I feel will be 14grams although I've launched big 25grams surface pencil without feeling any stress to it's graphite blank. 

Sensitivity is top notch. 

I can even feel the wobbles made by my minnows as I retrieve them. 

Even when using light surface lures when the line is slack half the time, I feel totally connected and in control of my lure. 

Besides it's well made blank, those micro guides plays a huge part in this insane sensitivity, I reckon. 





All in all, my choice of pairing these 2 high end equipment turns out to be divine. 

The ultra lightweight IS79UC compensates for the front heavy F3-69UC. 

The setup feels light, balanced and crisp in my hands. 

Even with a small fish at the end of my line, it managed to make things fun and exciting. 

It may not have the brute strength to pull an adult giant snakehead out from heavy cover but if the cards are played right to avoid that kind of situation, hauling in a 10lb or larger specimen is not impossible. 






I shall try my best to break it...
Wish me luck!




1 comment: