Wednesday 12 June 2013

Old Spot Revisited

2 Sundays ago, ZH suggested we go to Spot Mozzy.

Actually, I went Spot Mozzy a couple of times before...
A very dangerous and remote spot primarily occupied by Giant Snakeheads, aedes mosquitoes and snakes...

Left home at 5.45am and noticed lightning/thunders flashing every now and then while driving there.

Reached, ZH arrived soon after, hesitated going in because of the unfavorable weather.

In the end, we proceeded despite everything.

Rainbow

After the long trek through mud, bushes and forest, we reached the spot.
Super dark clouds but no rain came.
Sometime later, snapped this rainbow in the far distance.

Once, a good size snakehead leap out of the water striking my lure but missing it's target.
It had actually been hiding in the depth when it spotted my lure on the surface.
The sheer attacking speed and the angle of the climb from depth to surface caused it to jump clean above the surface.

First time I witnessed a Giant Snakehead leaping at such height!
Although no hookup, a spectacular acrobatic performance nonetheless...
Estimated to be a 7lbs specimen.

Switched to a pink surface cruiser, slow walked-the-dog on surface for awhile...
A huge splash and my rod starts bending.
Fought the fish for a short while with ZH looking excitedly.

Alas, it's violent headshake threw off my hook which was not set properly into it's jaws...

While on the other end, ZH had spotted some toman fries.
He cunningly cast his lure towards the fries repeatedly without me knowing.  lol

Soon after, he had a solid hookup from a mama guarding her fries.
Managed to land the fish after abit of drama as the terrain there is quite treacherous.

Results for that day:
Me: Zero
ZH: 6lb

ZH was all smiles after that... lol


##############################################


Last Sunday, we went to Spot Mozzy again.

While on my way there, lightning flashed repeatedly across the sky.
Deja vu...

Reached, ZH came soon after.
Started trekking in with disposable raincoats in our bags.

After we reached the spot, it started to rain heavily for a short while.
Put on our raincoats and continue casting in the thunderstorm.

No takes...

Rain stopped, no rainbow this time, took off our raincoats and resumed casting.

Spotted some bubbles near the opposite bank on the tributary beside me.
Often, when fishes swim too close to the riverbed, they will disturb the vegetation/structures beneath, releasing trapped tiny air pockets which will in turn, expose their position.

Casted towards the bubbles with sniper accuracy, gave a single hard twitch darting my 170mm minnow deeper into the water.

Fish attacked and pulled, I set the hook hard.
Solid hookup.

Landed the fish soon after.


Giant Snakehead @ 7lbs
Look at it's swollen tummy!

I noticed a 'lump' on it's tummy and realised that it's a pregnant mother!
Released it after some photos...

Almost straightaway, ZH shouted a toman sighting right in front of him.
He was standing about 10 meters on my left.

I looked at the water and was unable to see anything due to the strong wind.

ZH: THERE!!!
Me: Where???? Fries or what??
ZH: Saw it's head surfacing!
Me: But where??? Can't see!! Wind too strong!!

Anyway, I made a blind side-cast towards the direction that he was pointing.

Just as my lure hits the water, a violent take pulled my line.
I striked a few times immediately to ensure proper hookup.

From the strength of it's pull, I knew that it's a pretty big one.

Tug-of-war lasted awhile before I managed to guide it to a sloped hard ground where ZH assisted me to lip grip the fish and took some photos as well.



Giant Snakehead 80cm @ 10lbs


Released the fish and silently wonder when will my 16lbs ever come again?


The fight (thanks to ZH!):




Last pic was of me trying to 'steer' the fish away from some vegetation in the water.
Snakeheads tend to dive into weeds/branches in a last desperate attempt to free themselves.

Summary Pic

Score:
ZH: Zero
Me: 7lb, 10lb, thousands of unborn fries

While leaving, ZH brought me to another nearby spot where he caught his first belinda and introduced me to a new innovative fishing method.

Promised not to mock him and so, will not disclose his cock but effective method. lol


We ended our day after that.



####################################



And this is my girlfriend's futile attempt to stop me when it started to rain heavily back at home.
My phone tapped into Malaysia's telco and I had it switched off.

Censored to protect spot and privacy  :p

She doesn't care even if I went womanising!!

Speechless................






No comments:

Post a Comment