Sunday 29 December 2013

New Spot: MARS


Went scouting for a new spot this morning.
It's been a long time since I last did some exploring.

Shall code name this new spot as: MARS,
after the model of my new reel since this is the spot where it will first land a giant snakehead successfully if you were to read on.

Armed with my fully charged iPhone's GPS, covered from head to toe, I ventured into the mosquito infested jungle.



Climbed over many fallen trees and ran into many spider webs.
There were times when I stepped into knee deep holes unknowingly due to the thick undergrowth.

After some time, I finally neared my destination as shown on my GPS.

However, there's a slight problem...

A river was running across my way.
It cannot be seen from the GPS as the entire area was obscured by the treetops.

I scouted the area around the river bank and found a fallen tree a distance away which had luckily, fell across the river to the other side.



One catch though...
The rather thin trunk was covered with slippery damp moss.

I could either choose to wade across the thigh deep river with muddy bed on foot,
or take my chance with the fallen tree with a circus balancing act with my one piece 6'8" rod.

Since I absolutely hates getting my feet wet, I chose the latter.

Long story short, I managed to get to the other side.
With a very wet lower body...

I had slipped and fallen off the uber slippery tree trunk into the water just a few steps away from the end!
Luckily, I somewhat maintained my balance and landed in an upright posture, feet first into the water.

Since I'm already wet, might as well wade across.
Not as if I have another option...

Anyway, after I reached my destination on the GPS, everything was worth it.

Scenery was excellent!
There's absolutely no other place in Stinkapore where one can have such beautiful sight laid right in front of my very eyes.

Light morning mist hanging over the vast water surface.
Greens everywhere.

Water was still, weather was cooling with cloudy skies blocking out the hot sun.

Unknown fishes were popping the surface every now and then.
Once in a while, there will be feeding splashes.

Thick vegetation lining the banks providing natural cover for predatory fishes.
3 groups of snakehead fries were seen surfacing for air every now and then.

I started casting at the top of a high vantage point and very soon, I got a fish from one of the fries.

Took a few photos, released it and got another giant snakehead shortly after.






These days, I don't even bother to weigh and measure my catches anymore although I do carry a digital scale and fish ruler in my bag at all times whenever I go fishing.

Unless they're huge ones, no point measuring them.
Besides, one can tell roughly how heavy (or light) it weighs by looking at the photos.

Since I am not one who will deliberately push out my fish during photo taking (making it seem deceivingly much bigger), I can accurately estimate the size of my past catches should I look back at them in future.



2 snakeheads were landed,
1 struggled itself away when I was trying to lip grip it to land,
1 managed to throw hook with it's violent headshake on my minnow's size 6s,
2 top water explosions which didn't connect to my treble hooks, likely to be snakeheads as well I think.




A very good morning indeed!

I'll be back for more after I figure out a better way to cross that damn river.
The drier way of course...






No comments:

Post a Comment